Student explores passion for art

When senior Olivia Tucker was a child, she would receive comic books, but unlike her other peers, Tucker would draw herself into the story. Tucker would illustrate a new comic strip where “The Fantastic Four” and her would go on new adventures to solve new problems. She could spend hours and hours illustrating, creating and never expecting that she was setting the ground stone for her future career. Flash forward ten years and Tucker is drawing, painting and shading a majority of her school day.

“…I would take more and more art classes, like freshman year I started out with one,” Tucker said. “Now my senior year, I am in four hours.”

While many may think that taking four hours of art may give her all the guidance she needs, Tucker is constantly trying to improve her artwork in and out of the classroom by watching videos or talking to other creators.

“Sometimes I’ll just see certain artists and be like, ‘Oh I wonder if they talked ever about their process or how they learn,’” Tucker said.

Art teacher Julie Schuster has Tucker as a student, and it is obvious to Schuster and Tucker’s classmates that Tucker is committed to her dream of becoming a comic book artist or illustrator.

“She thinks outside the box,” Schuster said. “She is passionate about drawing, like she can draw all day it seems like.”

One of the classes Tucker takes is AP Studio Art, which requires at least 24-29 art pieces (which forms a portfolio) to be created within the school year. The students will then submit their portfolio to be judged, and depending on their score, they can receive college credit.

“Each (portfolio item) just depends on what I’m making and my mindset for it,” Tucker said. “Sometimes I have an idea that I can just immediately do, and then there’s times where I overthink it and keep overdoing it.”

Tucker plans on becoming a comic book artist or an illustrator. However, Tucker’s story of pursuing a career that she wanted when she was younger is rare. Schuster encourages students to dabble in painting, drawing and all other art forms to help decide what art they want to emphasize their art career in the future.

“Take as many art classes as possible to get a feel for what medium they like to work with the best,” Schuster said. “[I recommend students do] a lot of experimenting so they can focus later when they get to college.”