Spirit week takes place at WHS

Photo Courtesy of Craig Vonder Haar

The WHS Homecoming court poses for a picture, ready to kick off spirit week. “I’m in Leadership class, so we’ve made all the different themes,” senior Jeremiah Broadbent said. “I want to participate and show school spirit to make WHS fun.” Front row, from left, are Preston Wideman, Gracie Ziglin, Sophia Olszowka, Cameron McElhaney, Adison Eckelkamp and Chris Griesenauer. Middle row, from left, are Drew Post, Elise Pruett, Mia Harting, Joe Hackmann, Megan Duncan and Jeremiah Broadbent. Back row, from left, are Matt Amlong, Alexa Bell, Miles Hellebusch and Kayla Kleekamp.

This week at WHS can be described in one word— spirit. Spirit week has swarmed the halls, with students and teachers alike sporting their Blue Jay pride.

Leading up to the Homecoming game, students competed for a free ticket to Saturday’s dance by dressing up in different themes. On Monday, students dressed up as fairy tale characters, then tourist Tuesday, Western Wednesday, time travel Thursday and finally famous Friday. The outfits have brought out the creativity of WHS students, inside and outside of school.

“Yesterday I had a couple tests, but I was dressed up as a tourist,” senior Megan Duncan said. “There I was, taking my test in my bucket hat, having the time of my life.”

On Wednesday, the Homecoming parade and the Powderpuff game took place, showing off WHS’s clubs and the senior Homecoming court. Duncan and senior Jeremiah Broadbent were both nominated for the court by their peers and were introduced during the parade and Friday’s game. Coronation will take place at Saturday’s dance.

“It’s super important to be me,” Broadbent said. “I’ve always wanted to be on court. All my friends are in it.”

Students who are not on the court, however, have been gearing up for different reasons. As the Homecoming game grows closer, the students are aiming for a huge student turnout, taking on activities director Bill Deckelman’s challenge to fill the student section from front to back. The spirit theme is Western, and many students are ready to make history at WHS.

“Wearing school spirit has made me happier and more positive,” Duncan said. “It translated into my school work and the overall environment of the school.”