Student-created game sweeps across campus

Nerf war called “Assassin” takes over as new game

Senior Levi Weber prepares to go out into the world playing the game Assassin. 
The game is fun, Weber said. He and his friends were inspired to create the game after watching a show on Nickelodeon.

Photo Courtesy of by Levi Weber

Senior Levi Weber prepares to go out into the world playing the game Assassin. “The game is fun,” Weber said. He and his friends were inspired to create the game after watching a show on Nickelodeon.

A new game has taken Washington High School by storm. A game called “Assassins,” created by Levi Weber, Cameron McElhaney and Jeremiah Broadbent, a large number of students have become involved in the new game. 

“We got the game from the TV show ‘iCarly’ on Nickelodeon,” Weber said. 

Inspiration struck the students as they watched an episode where a group had a paintball competition between each other. 

“They would hunt each other down, until one person was remaining,” McElhaney said, “but we are using Nerf guns.”

Assassins consists of teams of two, and all of the nerf guns you can get.  The participants can “assassinate” other teams anywhere as long as it is not during school hours or the members are at work, church or a sporting event. Furthermore, each participant must have their Snapchat location on at all times so that they can be found by any player at any time. 

“In our future games, we plan to have a bracket-style tournament,” Weber said. “It would consist of teams of five, and then those teams would meet up for battles, as well as pulling up to assassinate.”

Although Assassins may just seem like a game, there are still some hidden life lessons the players are taking in. Under all of the immense fear and pressure, you must learn to adapt and trust your fellow teammates.

“You learn how to trust each other with this game because you can make truces,” Weber said. “You can go against those truces, though, and pop the guy next to you, so trust is a big thing.”

Along with the deep life lessons gained by playing this game, the players also will get to take home some amazing memories with them, and stories to share forever. 

“We pulled up to an enemy’s work, and he immediately saw us, so he jumped in his car and ran,” Broadbent said. “The whole way there he used the wrong blinker to confuse us. We ended up chasing him all the way to his house.”

Players have been found at home, in their cars and even at work, making the escape very difficult, or even impossible. 

“Someone leaked my work schedule, so all of [the players] knew when I’d be working, so I knew people would be outside,” McElhaney said. “They told me they would be waiting for me, so I called Jerry as my get away car. I got to my car, and Gage was already in it waiting for me. It turned into an all out war.”

The game that has evolved from a TV show to an all out battle among students is spreading some fun across campus and Washington, making new friendships and starting new traditions–giving the players a new perspective on life and a new sense of adventure and fun. 

“Ever since I’ve played assassins, I’ve never felt more alive and like myself,” Weber said. “It has changed my life in so many ways and has help me find myself.”