Dealing with your downtime

Junior+Natalie+Nothum+poses+with+her+RipStik+during+her+free+time.+

Photo Courtesy of Natalie Nothum

Junior Natalie Nothum poses with her RipStik during her free time.

The extended leave from WHS has left students with an unusual amount of downtime, and figuring out how to spend it has proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Here are some fun ideas on how to deal with it.

Stay Educated. While WHS isn’t having class in the school building, teachers are still trying their hardest to provide their students with a normal learning experience. Most students are getting their work through Schoology or Google Classroom with the expectation to complete an assignment for each class, but this can be difficult for some students. It is important to stay on top of your work and try your hardest to make the most out of this unusual learning experience. Outside of schoolwork, reading is a great way to stimulate your mind and spend your time. Alyssa Luecke shared with the Advocate readers five interesting books to read over the break, including The Language of Thorns and The Name of the Star. Don’t limit yourself to one book, or one genre. Go crazy and read every book you can get your hands on.

Stay Active. Staying active is important year-round, but with all this free time quarantine has granted, there’s no excuse not to be active. There are numerous amounts of options for things to do around town or at your house to help you stay active. With the weather warming up, the riverfront trail is a perfect place to ripstick, and Lion Lake allows for a great place to take a stress-free stroll. If you are unable to leave your house, meditation is an easier, at-home option.

Stay Connected. Social distancing may deter you from hanging out with large groups of people, but it shouldn’t stop you from staying connected to loved ones. Apps like Zoom and FaceTime make staying in constant communication with your friends very easy. Quality time with your family is another way to spend your extra time. Bring out an old board game or watch a movie as a family. Use your time with your family to create a strong bond amongst all of you.

Don’t be lazy. With all this time on your hands, it’s not a good idea to waste away the day by laying in bed. Use some of the ideas above to make your time worthwhile.

Tweet us @WHSAdvocate to let us if you’ve taken any of our tips on how to deal with your downtime or if you have any of your own ideas.