Turkey Tournament isn’t the same without cheerleaders

As we all know, COVID has come through our world and changed everything. Our normal isn’t so normal anymore. Over the Thanksgiving break, the annual Turkey Tournament was held at Borgia High School, but this year cheerleaders were not allowed to be there. 

As a cheerleader myself, this was a sad thing for me to have to hear. This is my first year on varsity, and I knew the Turkey Tournament was something special and a good time for our community and peers to be able to support our Blue Jays. I had always watched it from the stands, but I was very excited to be able to actually cheer in it.

Being in the atmosphere of all of the students coming together to cheer on our school is something I miss dearly. Don’t get me wrong, I understand why we weren’t allowed to cheer. This virus is something none of us have ever experienced, and the schools and health department are just trying to take precautions. But, it still is a bummer, especially to not be able to cheer at something as big as the Turkey Tournament. 

My hope for this next year is that students get a bit of normalcy to our lives again. It’s difficult to stay positive during a time like this, but it is also so important to do so. I know how hard it is to be missing out on some of our high school experiences, but just remember, Blue Jays, everything is temporary and this is too.