Wrestlers head to state championships

From+left%2C+sophomore+Julia+Donnelly%2C+senior+Mia+Reed%2C+senior+McKenna+Deckelman+and+senior+Allison+Meyer+stand+together+for+a+picture+after+qualifying+for+state.+

Photo Courtesy of @washmowrestling Twitter

From left, sophomore Julia Donnelly, senior Mia Reed, senior McKenna Deckelman and senior Allison Meyer stand together for a picture after qualifying for state.

Over the last few weeks, a total of five wrestlers from WHS have punched their ticket to the state championships. Senior Allison Meyer, senior Mia Reed, senior McKenna Deckelman and sophomore Julia Donnelly claimed their title Feb. 20 for the girls, and junior Gavin Holtmeyer did this past weekend for the boys.

“All five of our qualifiers worked for this goal all season and much before the start of the season,” coach Josh Ohm said. “Now they have one more step to get over to reach the big goal of finishing on the podium next week.”

The five athletes will compete in Columbia this weekend in hopes of claiming a state title, and this will be the last week to prepare for the big competition.

“We are going to make sure they all trust their training and put in a great week of practice and its business as normal,” Ohm said.

Reed was the first ever female wrestler in school history to medal at state, and she hopes to do it again.

“It means a lot to make it to state,” Reed said. “I’ve put in five years of work for wrestling and this will be my last ever wrestling tournament.”

Reed is not the only one who will be competing for the last time. Meyer and Deckelman are also seniors, and will also be competing for the last time in their high school careers this weekend.

“Seeing kids work as hard as they can to achieve a goal is very rewarding,” Ohm said, “and I’m happy that I get to play a small part in that.”