It is a privilege to be involved

Photo by Sophie Nieder

Information on student activities can be found in the Guidance Office.

As the end of October approaches, the school year is beginning to get more and more chaotic. I recently found myself stressing out over how I was going to balance my homework, sports, and home responsibilities with all of the clubs and activities I wanted to participate in. I felt incredibly sorry for myself, that I couldn’t keep up with my own interests.

I got a fresh perspective, realizing just how lucky I am to be able to participate in so many organizations. My real problem is time management, but that’s besides the point. I realized that getting to see and connect with people who share my interests multiple times a week is such a privilege in public schools. 

For every opportunity that Washington provides for students to get involved, there are plenty of barriers in their way. For example, students may have trouble finding a ride to or from school in order to attend club meetings, or cannot leave their EPIC hour to join. They may lack availability for involvement due to family and work responsibilities. Some students may simply struggle to pay dues for the activity they’re involved in. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, affluent schools are likely to have more student involvement than schools with a majority of less affluent students. Socioeconomic status puts a constraint on time, resources, and funding needed for students to get engaged in their communities. 

Equity is an important factor in student organizations since school clubs offer students a way to make their school feel like a home. Participation in school activities and extracurriculars is an indicator of future success post high-school. Clubs help students make friends, work on projects they’re passionate about, and develop a sense of belonging, which is crucial to any high schooler. 

Looking back on my own experiences, I can say that it took a great deal of luck for me to be involved in so many different activities. If I did not have an older sister with her own car, I would have had to ride the bus to and from school, and never would have worked up the courage to ask an upperclassman to take me to an Interact club meeting. If my freshman English teacher had not made me aware of an application for The Advocate, I would never have met so many new people and learned about all the different opportunities at Washington High. I am grateful that I had the tools to help the school and Washington area.

Extracurricular involvement is crucial to making students at Washington feel less alone, and I feel that our student body could do better to provide opportunities for others to get involved. Hosting club meetings during EPIC hour is a great start. I challenge involved students to work with students to get them involved and remove any barriers holding them back. Offer a freshman a ride home from an after-school activity, or help your club raise money to cover the incoming class’s dues for the year. Continuing to make school activities more accessible to students will make our high school a brighter, more welcoming place.