The History of Prom

The 2023 prom season has arrived. For the last month or so, schools all over the country have been having their proms, and on May 6th, it was Washington High School’s turn. The springtime dance is often seen as an important part of growing up. From It’s a Wonderful Life to Mean Girls, prom has been represented in popular culture for decades as an important part of a high schooler’s life. Since the event itself is so important, it is also important to know the history of prom. 

“Prom” is short for “promenade,” which means to go out in public with a guest, intending to be seen by others. The tradition of high school proms evolved from debutante balls, another coming-of-age event in which young women were “introduced” to society and male suitors. However, these balls were mostly for wealthy white people. For lower class whites, the tradition of a co-ed banquet for college students began, which soon extended to high school students. These banquets quickly became more popular and similar to the prom we know, and love, today.

However, prom has not always been the way we picture it now. Proms across the United States have been slow to catch up with the way the country’s culture is evolving. Many proms remained segregated even after Brown v. Board, the supreme court case that ruled segregated schools unconstitutional, had been fully enforced. In fact, a high school in Abbeville, Georgia, continued to segregate their prom until 2013, holding seperate dances for their white and black students. Additionally, prom rules that target LGBT students (no same-sex couples, no gender nonconforming dress, etc.) have recieved backlash.

For some, prom is one of the most exciting nights of the year, a night to look your best and celebrate the end of the school year. However, it is important to remember the history of any long-celebrated event and recognize what it could be in the future.