The Advocate

Women forced to pay for birth control ban

Birth control covered by Obamacare can cost as low as $0 a month. Without insurance, birth control can cost anywhere from $20-50.

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Photo courtesy of Flickr

As stated by CNN, 55 million women in the United States rely on birth control covered by the Affordable Care Act. On Oct. 6, the Trump administration moved to take away the right for covered contraception from those 55 million women.

If America is a nation built on religious freedom, those in charge should not have the ability to deny women of healthcare. Yet just that is happening. A decision affecting women nationwide is being based on the religious beliefs of your employer.

The Trump administration also moves to decrease “risky sexual behavior.” When did engaging in sexual activity with protection against unwanted pregnancy become risky? Or using the pill to help disorders such as endometriosis, acne or a heavy flow? There will never be a time that the highly-concentrated male government should have the ability to act upon a judgment of a woman’s sexual activity and whether it’s “risky” or not.

Young, low-income women who can’t afford the extra $248 for birth control are now at risk of having a baby they don’t have the resources to take care of. The increasing number of Planned Parenthood’s shutting their doors makes it more difficult for these low-income mothers to find prenatal care. Resources to get an abortion for an unwanted pregnancy or put the baby up for adoption will also be strained. Despite all of this, Trump’s administration is taking away covered birth control, contributing to the number of unplanned pregnancies in the United States.

Taking away birth control coverage from women nationwide is an unacceptable feat that should not be tolerated by the American people. The right to use covered contraception is not a right the government can take away.