The Advocate

Black Panther album is on 10

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia

The "Black Panther" cast stands for an interview at Comic Con.

“Black Panther” is a hit, and like many hit movies, it comes with an album. But the “Black Panther” album is entirely original songs by many known singers today with African American descent. The Kendrick Lamar-driven album was first hinted in his music video for “Love” with Zacari who is also in this album. Lamar and Top Dawg entertainment collected various artists such as Future, Khalid, Swae Lee and more.

The album has many upbeat tones and different styles that I am not used to hearing like “Opps” or “Big Shot,” which I really enjoyed. The Kendrick Lamar and Weekend song, “Pray For Me,” is the one featured in the trailer and is getting the most radio play, which I think is all right, but that along with songs like “Redemption” are a very good change of pace for the people that don’t like the traditional rap. However, my surprise favorite is the more pop-styled song “All the Stars” with SZA who sings an amazing hook and Kendrick Lamar accompanies it with good verses in between.

This album has songs that actually relate to the movie but not enough where you won’t want to listen to it on your own. It could be a brilliant standalone album. This is a must listen, as it has been a very long time since an album made for a movie featured this many stars and different kinds of music that are all put together so well.