The Advocate

Ariana Grande sweetens the music business

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia

All I have to say is, wow. Let’s all give a big applause to Ariana Grande. Her voice is absolutely incredible, as are her songs. I can’t even express how much I love her new album, “Sweetener.”

Let’s bring this back to one of the first songs she released for this album, “No Tears Left To Cry.” The first time I heard this song, I will admit I was pretty skeptical. However, after I listened to it a few times, I couldn’t get it out of my head, and the next song she released for this album, “God Is A Woman,” I loved instantly.

I feel like Grande is doing this music business right. She recently performed her song, “God Is A Woman,” at the VMAs. The aspect that was so great about her performance was that she didn’t have herself placed as the role of God. She sat back with the whole group of women and had an African American woman assume the role of God. I cannot express how overjoyed this made me. While simply performing a song she stood up to prejudice for African American citizens and women.

Not only has she spread awareness of these tough subjects through her songs, she’s moved and supported many people by using her songs. The teaser song to the album is very short, but so, so very beautiful. I could listen to it on repeat without hesitation. “Breathin,” another song on the album, encourages people to just keep going and that everything will be all right.

Overall, I love this album. I feel like it delivers good messages, while still having great songs to just jam out to. If you haven’t listened to this album yet, I highly recommend that you do so right away.

About the Writer
Samantha Montgomery, Web Editor

Samantha Montgomery is the Web Editor for The Advocate. She is a senior, and this is her third year as a staff member. She participates in cross-country and orchestra. If you need her, you can look in the library-she will probably be stressing out about something, wearing her Crocs and silly socks.