The Advocate

Football seniors say goodbye

Senior Cory Hardesty signals plays to the Blue Jay offense Sept. 7, where the Blue Jays faced Warrenton. “It (football) made me feel involved,” Hardesty said. “I feel like I’ve contributed to helping other people too.” The senior football players will be recognized Oct. 19 at their last home game.

Photo by Jolie Newman

Photo by Jolie Newman

As October comes to a close, the WHS football seniors prepare for their last game on Blue Jay soil. Seniors will be recognized at halftime on Friday night for their years of hard work and dedication to the sport, saying goodbye to their teammates, fans and field.

“It (football) made my high school experience a lot better,” senior John Duncan said. “It made me feel a lot more important.”

Duncan’s favorite memory of his final year was breaking their losing streak by beating Pacific. The team’s perseverance has led them to a new, more successful season, allowing them to beat Warrenton the following week. The hours put into building a fit team has not only led to these wins, but has also taught the team important lessons.

“[I’ve learned] about dedication,” Duncan said. “If you start something, you have to finish it and things like that for life.”

Coached by Derek Heflin, the boys have put in long hours, practicing all summer and after school, creating a close team bond. This year’s seniors include Duncan, Colby Ramsey, Houston Partridge, Cory Hardesty, Jack Carico, Darren Winistoerfer, Wesley Kamper, Mitchell Zurick and Jacob Hillermann. Shaping high school careers, football has instilled the importance of hard work and values in all the members.

“I’ve learned to always work hard for what you want to achieve,” Hardesty said, “and to believe in yourself.”

About the Writer
Willa Reust, Editorials Editor

This is Willa's second year on staff, but first as opinion's editor. Outside of newspaper she is involved in orchestra and NHS. She enjoys listening to...