Inclement weather forces SDOW to call off Jan. 11

Photo by Sophie Koritz

The School District of Washington sent out a tweet, call blast, text and email to parents and students Jan. 11 to announce a snow day.

The School District of Washington was closed Jan. 11 due to an expected winter storm. The snowfall started Friday in the early afternoon and left over six inches of snow and ice in Washington and surrounding areas. This is Washington School District’s second snow day (the first being Nov. 15), which means students and faculty will make up this day on May 24.

At 3:42 a.m., the official Washington School District Twitter (@SDofWashington) tweeted the following announcing the closure of the school district on Friday.

“Due to a change in the forecast indicating a winter storm warning now beginning around 9 a.m., we have grown more concerned about transportation, even ​at the mid day. With that in mind, the School District of Washington will be closed Friday, January 11.”

School activities have also been cancelled for Jan. 11 including the Washington varsity boys’ basketball tournament. Since the snowfall was expected, games that were scheduled for Friday were moved to Thursday Jan. 10, but the championship game, third place, consolation and seventh place game have been rescheduled for Jan. 30.

UPDATE–Because of hazardous road conditions, SDOW was closed Monday, Jan. 14. Students and faculty will make up this day on April 22.