In the eyes of high school seniors

All over the world, the coronavirus has taken a huge toll on people’s day-to-day lives. Whether it is being able to go to their job, go to the store or even just take a walk outside, people are affected by this pandemic. Although this situation isn’t fun for most, it is a particularly sad time for high school seniors.

“It’s got me pretty down since I’m missing an experience that everyone I know has either gotten to happen to them or will happen to them,” senior Jacob Krakowski said. ”I’m going to miss a lot. From my last hockey season to my first play I was going to be in, but I’m going to miss seeing my seniors the most.”

Many seniors had all kinds of goals and plans for the rest of the year that they are not going to be able to achieve.

“The biggest thing that the pandemic has affected is simply shortening my senior experience,” senior Joe Hackmann said. “I won’t get to have the last few months to enjoy my last moments of high school, and I won’t get a senior baseball season that I worked hard for. I also unknowingly talked to a lot of different people for the last time without even knowing it, which still hasn’t sunk in yet.”

This pandemic not only has taken many things from the senior class of 2020, but also changes their future plans, such as graduation.

“This has affected my graduation plans a lot,” senior Sarah Becszlko said. “I have family from Pennsylvania and Michigan, and we need to let them know when they need to book flights or plan a trip, but with the pandemic, my graduation party date is still up in the air.”

Although this time has brought negativity to aspects of our lives, these seniors are trying to make the best out of it.

“This experience has given me a lot of extra time to train and prep my body for playing college baseball at St. Louis Community College,” Hackmann said. “It has also given me the opportunity to make some extra money before college begins.”

These past few months have taught the seniors many lessons, and many of them have chosen to try and think of this experience in a positive way and give the best advice they can.

“Don’t take the small things for granted. Enjoy your high school experience, because it really does fly,” Becszlko said. “Unexpected things occur, so it could be taken away from you in the blink of an eye. Cherish it all.”