What’s cooking in Culinary Arts

The+Culinary+Arts+students+pose+for+a+group+photo.+

Photo Courtesy of Timmy Boehlien

The Culinary Arts students pose for a group photo.

WHS began offering the Culinary Arts program, taught by Karen Fixsal, around 13 years ago. As the years have gone by, the class has grown in popularity, but is still seeking to teach more of America’s future chefs. 

The course consists of a very intense and focused curriculum that educates students on everything from food safety and sanitation to restaurant management. The course is not limited to strictly teaching the students how to cook, but also educates on the history of food services, menu development and sustainability.

“We learn the basic and advanced methods of cooking various types of food while following Servsafe guidelines to ensure the protection of those who are consuming our food,” senior Timmy Boehlein said. 

Fixsal ensures that her students are certified through ServSafe before they begin cooking and serving their food to the public. She also educates her students on the importance of all aspects of the restaurant industry, which include keeping consumers safe.

“[ServSafe] demonstrates one’s knowledge on keeping food safe and preventing customers from getting sick,” Fixsal said.

While the class takes dedication and love for the culinary arts, nearly anyone can find joy from joining the class.

“If anyone is interested in taking Culinary Arts, it’s not just a class for only people who are interested in being chefs,” Boehlein said. “It’s for everyone and anyone who wants to better their future.”

The Lady’s Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

• 1 2 ½ – 3 lb roaster chicken
  • 2 c. peeled and sliced carrots
  • 3 ½ qts of water
  • 2 c. sliced celery, no leafy tops
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 c. uncooked egg noodles
  • 2 tsps. Italian seasonings
  • 3 T. minced fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp. Lemon-pepper seasoning
  • ⅓ c. grated parmesan cheese
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ¾ c. heavy cream
  • 4 bay leaves
  • ⅓ c. cooking sherry
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Add the whole chicken, water, Italian seasonings, lemon-pepper seasonings, garlic, bay leaves, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper into a large pot. Cook on medium heat until chicken is tender, 45 min to an hour. 
  2. Remove the chicken from pot after cooked  and set aside to cool. Pick out the bay leaves and discard. When the chicken is cool enough to touch, pick the bones, discarding the bones, skin, and cartilage. Set aside the chicken for later.
  3. Bring stock to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Add the egg noodles until done. When noodles are done, add chicken, parsley, cheese, cream, and sherry. Cook for another 2 minutes.
  5. Adjust seasoning if needed by adding salt and pepper. Enjoy.