Changes in the school year

The School District of Washington announced the change to the hybrid schedule Sept. 24 on Twitter. Secondary students will remain in a hybrid model while elementary students return to school five days a week.

Photo Courtesy of SDOW

This school year has been vastly different from previous years in many different ways. The first four weeks have been a mix of online and in-person learning. Students with last names A through K attend school on Mondays and Tuesdays, and students with the last names L through Z on Thursdays and Fridays, with all students attending Zoom meetings on Wednesdays. Washington High School’s Board of Education met on Wednesday, Sept. 23 to discuss what changes would happen after evaluating how the first four weeks of hybrid scheduling went. The Board ultimately decided to move to scenario two hybrid model, which states, 

“Secondary schools only; students attend on a modified schedule designed to reduce class sizes (on-campus two days, e-learning three days) on A and B days. (A days last name A-K, B days last name L-Z).” 

This means that children in elementary school will start full time school on Monday, Sept. 28, while middle and high school students will stay in the hybrid model. To continue to stay safe with the hybrid schedule, which allows for smaller class sizes and social distancing in the classrooms and cafeteria, face coverings are still required at the high school. As the school district states, “Face coverings do limit one’s risk of contracting or spreading the virus, and play a major role in containing and/or keeping people well. Face coverings do not disqualify anyone from being considered a “close contact” that has to quarantine.” 

To learn more about how you can continue to stay safe in school during the pandemic, visit www.cdc.gov for more information.