Christian Gudmundson forms Bible study group

Students at Washington High School may have noticed multiple flyers advertising sophomore Christian Gudmundson’s new Bible study group. The study group is meant to be a place to meet, discuss and learn about the Christian religion. Gudmundson, who has recently gotten deeply invested into his faith, shared his goal of discussing and sharing it to others who are curious.

“I wanted to give a place for Christians where they can learn and a place that they can feel safe and welcome in learning about the faith,” Gudmundson said.

The Bible study group, which currently meets on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30 in the West Wing in Room 2615, is open to all students and there are no sign-ups or requirements. There are, however, “suggested” materials to bring, including a King James Version Bible, which is listed on the flyers throughout the school as well.

“We are open to all denominations: we have Catholics, we have all denominations,” Gudmondson said. “We’re open to people who may not even believe in Jesus or know of him. We’re open to all faiths, everybody.”

The openness of Gudmundson’s group is something he’s put a focus on, with his flyers encouraging students coming to meetings to “bring a friend” and to “share this information with others around you.” Regarding differences in religious upbringing, Gudmundson implied he would provide Bibles for meeting attendees to use.

“We’re open to people who aren’t in the faith, who don’t go to church, and I will buy them a Bible. I’m planning to buy them in bulk,” Gudmundson said.

The meetings generally consist of Gudmundson leading open discussions. Attendees are encouraged to share their thoughts and to speak up in order to learn as a group.

“These meetings are a group discussion and we have a person lead a devotion and we’re open to anyone sharing a lesson. This is a welcoming environment for people to learn about the faith,” Gudmundson said.

For students who are interested, Gudmundson’s informational flyers can be found around WHS, but you can also contact him by email at [email protected] if you have any questions. 

“Be prepared to get deep into the nitty-gritty of some scripture,” Gudmundson said. “It’s going to be fun.”