New WMS library to be finished early 2022

Currently, a new Library Media center is under construction at Washington Middle School. The project, predicted to be finished in early 2022, will enhance learning opportunities and workspaces for both students and staff. 

Over the summer, the old library was turned into a Counselors’ office suite, a science lab, and a room for desktop computers. 

The new library will include space for books (currently being held in the old South Point gym), a technology help desk, a green screen room, and a Makerspace; a collection of tools and materials that allow students to express scientific and creative freedom. 

Students are excited to experience the new library, according to WMS Library Media Specialist Valerie Jankowski. Because of hybrid scheduling and e-learning in the 20-21 school year, many students haven’t been able to utilize the library as previous grades have. “I think it’ll be exciting for [students]…their response has been pretty positive,” Jankowski says. “A lot of students are excited to see what it’s going to look like when it’s done.”

Design-wise, the library will include a neutral color scheme with colorful splashes, along with an exposed beam ceiling. Aesthetic design, functionality, and new resources will hopefully draw more students into the library. “I think it’ll be really cool to see just a more modern space,” Jankowski explains. “[A space] that would be welcoming to kids [and] encourages kids to come in.” 

Construction takes place at Washington Middle School on Monday, Sept. 28, 2021. Photo by Rachel Derner.