WHS remembers Ziggy Stardust

Miles McCracken, Reporter

David Bowie, born in London in 1947, was an artist who performed numerous genres of music from hard rock to jazz. He created many different songs and has influenced students and staff at WHS with his music. Unfortunately, Bowie passed away on Jan. 10, 2016. Now, people at WHS reflect on the passing of the rock star.

“I like the fact that you can pick up any number of David Bowie albums and they’ll totally be different,” English teacher Ryan Leatherman said.

Some people were skeptical at first to listen to David Bowie. However, some first got involved with the music of the David Bowie by watching his 1980s movie “Labyrinth.” Bowie plays the goblin king, Jareth, who captures a baby and forces the older sister to brace her fears and enter a fantasy world.

“I always listen to the soundtrack,” sophomore Faith Burtenshaw said. “I know every song of that movie.”

Sophomore Amanda Bauer also stated how she was first influenced by Bowie by his movie and later listened to his other songs.

“I grew up watching ‘Labyrinth,’” Bauer said. “That’s basically my childhood.”

Bowie had written different kinds of songs from different genres. From funk, he wrote “Fame.” From rock and roll, he wrote “Rebel Rebel.” Along with these hits, he wrote “Changes,” “Space Oddity” and “Ziggy Stardust.” Bowie performed not only different songs but also performed as different characters. Names of these characters include Thin White Duke, Major Tom, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane, and they all brought something different to the stage.

“He’s a very inspiring artist,” freshman Isabelle Stanfield said. “He’s not afraid to be weird or act however he wanted to.”

Burtenshaw said that Bowie acted differently from other people, and she found that encouraging as well.

“It’s very inspiring to see people act different from other people or anything else,” Burtenshaw said.

Stanfield agrees with Burtenshaw and explains how Bowie can be a good role model to people to stand out and escape their comfort zone.

“He proved you can be weird and exciting as you want and be successful,” Stanfield said. “He always amazed me.”

On the day of his passing, though, all of these people were affected deeply by the loss of this rock star. He turned 69-years-old recently and had released his latest album, Blackstar. Bowie spent his last moments of his life with his family as cancer took him away.

“I managed to go through school without crying,” Stanfield said.

Stanfield later listened to David Bowie songs on the radio to reflect on his passing. Bauer had a similar reaction on the day before school.

“I literally cried in my bed,” Bauer said. “That was [the] morning before school.”

As soon as news screens flashed on television, Leatherman sat in thought, disturbed by the newscast.

“I stopped and stared into the middle distance, and I was irrationally angry,” Leatherman said.

Although these students and teacher will miss Bowie and his unusual talent for music, they find solace knowing he succeeded in life and entertained his fans.

“He kept going and doing whatever he wanted,” Leatherman said. “He was fearless.”