Seniors begin to say goodbye

Senior+cheerleader+Emily+Groppe+cheers+on+the+sideline+at+the+Oct.+14+football+game.++I+love+my+%5Bcheer%5D+team.+They+are+all+like+a+family+to+me%2C+Groppe+said.%0AThe+Washington+Blue+Jays+lost+the+football+game+on+Senior+Night.+

Photo by Autumn Buesking

Senior cheerleader Emily Groppe cheers on the sideline at the Oct. 14 football game. “I love my [cheer] team. They are all like a family to me,” Groppe said. The Washington Blue Jays lost the football game on Senior Night.

Sophie Koritz, Reporter

Every new school year the underclassmen start to say goodbye to the seniors.  One of the first ways the students begin to say goodbye is Senior Night—a time of recognition for the seniors involved in extracurricular activities. At the football game Oct. 14, 19 football players, two cheerleaders, five jaywalkers and 38 band seniors began their journey to say goodbye.  

“Senior Night was one last time we could remember what Blue Jay pride was,” senior football player Matthew Hoemann said.  

Most of the seniors have been on the team every year they have been at Washington High School and have formed very close bonds with their teammates.

“All of the seniors I’ve become really close to because we all went through the same hard work,” senior football player Benjamin Straatmann said.

As Washington tradition goes, seniors were recognized in front of the football crowd alongside their parents and fellow seniors.

“All I could think about was remembering when I was kid,” senior color guard member Max Ruether said. “Seeing my brother and our parents up there with him and thinking, ‘Wow. He’s a senior. He’s so old.’”

Momentos and gifts were given to each of the seniors by either team members or the coordinator or coach of the teams.

“My [cheer] team gave me some cute sashes, posters, flowers and cookie cake,” senior cheerleader Emily Groppe said.

The bittersweet experience was one of the last nights to honor the commitment the seniors who participated in sports or band made.

“I love Washington High School so much,” Groppe said. “I will definitely miss being a Blue Jay.”