The student news site of Washington High School

The Advocate

Rocking Out with The Volunteers

The Volunteers perform live at the Pop's concert venue.

Photo Courtesy of Colleen Narup

Photo Courtesy of Colleen Narup

Washington​ ​is​ ​a​ ​community​ ​full​ ​of​ ​music​ ​and​ ​local​ ​bands.​ ​This​ ​musical​ ​talent​ ​resides within​ ​Washington​ ​High​ ​School​ ​as​ ​a​ ​group​ ​of​ ​new​ ​students​ ​and​ ​former​ ​alumni​ ​have​ ​created​ ​their own​ ​band,​ ​The​ ​Volunteers.  

“Matt​​ ​​Luttner​​ ​​and​​ ​​I ​had​​ ​​been​​ ​​jamming​​ ​​for​​ ​​a​​ ​​year​​ ​​and​​ ​​a​​ ​​half,​​ ​​and​​ ​we​ ​got​ ​tired​​ ​​of​ ​limited​​ ​​resources​​ ​​of​​ ​​just​​ ​​bass, guitar and​​ ​​drums​​ ​​and​​ ​​​we​ ​​started​​ ​​looking​​ ​​for​​ ​​more​ ​people,”​ ​senior​ ​Shane​ ​Nitschke​ ​said.  

The​ ​band​ ​started​ ​from​ ​humble​ ​beginnings​ ​and​ ​quickly​ ​grew​ ​to​ ​the​ ​five​-person​ ​group​ ​that they​ ​are​ ​today,​ ​consisting​ ​of​ ​seniors​ ​Zach​ ​Kempen,​ ​Jacob​ ​Taylor,​ ​Shane​ ​Nitschke,​ ​alumni​ ​Matt Luttner ​and​ ​Devon​ ​McNew.  

“Seventy-five ​​to​​ ​​80​ percent of​​ ​​our​​ ​​song​​ ​​making​​ ​​is​​ ​​done​​ ​​by​​ ​​Matt​​ ​​and​​ ​​Devon​​, ​​and​​ ​​then​​ ​​the​​ ​​rest​​ ​​of​​ ​​us​​ ​​glue​​ ​​it together,”​ ​​Nitschke​ ​said.

A​ ​lot​ ​goes​ ​into​ ​song​ ​making​, ​but​ ​they​ ​keep​ ​it​ ​a​ ​group​ ​effort​ ​and​ ​all​ ​agree​ ​on​ ​what​ ​songs stay​ ​and​ ​go.

“We​​ ​​worked​​ ​​on​​ ​​a​​ ​​song​​ ​​called​​ ​​’Redirect’​​ ​​for​​ ​​a​​ ​​little​​ ​​while​​, ​​but​​ ​​no​​ ​​one​​ ​​was​​ ​​feeling​​ ​​it,”​ ​Nitschke said.

Although​ ​songwriting​ ​can​ ​be​ ​a​ ​tedious​ ​process​, ​sometimes​ ​songs​ ​come​ ​to​ ​the​ ​band naturally.  

“We​​ ​​have​​ ​​written​​ ​​a​​ ​​song​​ ​​in​​ ​​one​​ ​​practice​​ ​​before,”​ ​Nitschke​ ​said.  

The​ ​band​ ​has​ ​performed​ ​at​ ​two​ ​concerts​ ​at​ ​Otis​ ​Campbell’s​ ​in​ ​Washington​ ​and​ ​at​ ​Pop’s in​ ​St.Louis​ ​and​ ​plan​ ​to​ ​release​ ​their​ ​original​ ​content​ ​performed.

“We​​ ​​will​​ ​​have​​ ​​a​​ ​​live​​ ​​EP​​ ​​for​​ ​​free​​ ​​that​​ ​​will​​ ​​be​​ ​​released​​ ​​March​​ ​​2​​ ​​with​​ ​​live​​ ​​recordings​​ ​​from our​​ ​​concert​​ ​​at​​ ​​Pop’s,”​ ​Nitschke​ ​said.

The​ ​Volunteers​ ​were​ ​competing​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Road​ ​to​ ​Pointfest​ ​competition​ ​at​ ​Pop’s,​ ​but​ ​they didn’t​ ​advance​ ​to​ ​the​ ​second​ ​round.​ ​Even​ ​with​ ​this​ ​downfall,​ ​the​ ​band​ ​remained​ ​positive​ ​and continue​ ​to​ ​strive​ ​toward ​their​ ​big​ ​goals.  

“I​​ ​​just​​ ​​want​​ ​​to​​ ​​know​​ ​​the​​ ​​feeling​​ ​​of​​ ​​walking​​ ​​around​​ ​​and​​ ​​someone​​ ​​just​​ ​​sees​​ ​​you​​ ​​and​​ ​​says, ‘Hey​,​ ​​you’re​​ ​​a​​ ​​part​​ ​​of​​ ​​this​​ ​​thing​​ ​​that​​ ​​I​​ ​​like.’ That​​ ​​would​​ ​​be​​ ​​the​​ ​​coolest​​ ​​feeling​​ ​​in​​ ​​the​​ ​​world,”​ ​senior Jacob​ ​Taylor​ ​said.

The​ ​band​ ​is​ ​aiming​ ​for​ ​local​ ​and​ ​even​ ​national​ ​attention.

“I’m​​ ​​looking​​ ​​for​​ ​​notoriety​​ ​​around​​ ​​our​​ ​​area​​ ​​and​​ ​​hopefully​​ ​​internationally,” Nitschke​ ​said.​ ​“My​ goal​​ ​​is​​ ​​to​​ ​​hear​​ ​​[The​ ​Volunteers]​ ​​on​​ ​​the​​ ​​radio​​ ​​someday.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Rocking Out with The Volunteers”

1. Miles McCracken on March 10th, 2017 1:10 pm

Awesome band. Love them! Great story and good friends and photographer for all of them.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Rocking Out with The Volunteers