The Advocate

New teams emerge in NFC playoff picture

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz warms up before week one at Redskins Sept. 10, 2017. The  Eagles won 30-17.

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz warms up before week one at Redskins Sept. 10, 2017. The Eagles won 30-17.

KeithAllisonPhoto.com

KeithAllisonPhoto.com

I don’t think anyone was ready to see such a competitive NFC this season, especially from the league’s hottest teams the Vikings, the Rams and the Eagles. The Rams and Eagles, which both have sophomore quarterbacks, picked first and second last yearno one could have seen them coming, especially Jared Goff’s Rams who lost every game he started in and is now helping lead the 9-4 Rams.

Goff took over last year for Case Keenum, who joined the Minnesota Viking in the offseason after taking over for Sam Bradford during the first week and has since led them to a 9-3 record as a backup quarterback thanks to a great receiving core and running back duo. The pick after Goff, Carson Wentz, led his Eagles last year to a 7-9 record and this year has already topped it, springing the Eagles to an 11-2 start along with his league-leading 33 touchdown passes.

The Rams and the Eagles played this season Dec. 10 2017, and Wentz helped the Eagles win and clinch the NFC East, guaranteeing home field advantage for the first round of the playoffs. Unluckily, Wentz tore his ACL late in the third quarter and is out for the rest of the season, but he has left his team in a great position heading to the postseason.

The NFC has taken a new shape of contenders and only time can tell if they will last.